SF Column at The New Scientist

I've been sitting on this news for a while, and now it can be told: I'm writing a bi-monthly recent SF column for The New Scientist.  The first column is up here.  It discusses three recent and very different space operas: Kameron Hurley's The Stars Are Legion, Joe M. McDermott's The Fortress at the End of Time, and Nnedi Okorafor's Binti: Home.

Writing in this style is going to be a bit of a challenge for me--I'm used to having space to spread out and indulge myself, and it's complicated to try to get at the essence of a book under more severe length restrictions.  Nevertheless, I've been inspired by several reviewers working in this format--N.K. Jemisin's column for the New York Times has, in particular, been a great example of how to use limited space to achieve a great deal--and I'm hoping to be able to emulate them.

Comments

Unknown said…
That's great, Abigail. Congratulations, and thoroughly deserved to boot.

Is this going to be in the print edition? Can I go and buy it in the shops?

(^ Tim Ward)
Not to my knowledge, no - it was pitched to me as an online-only feature.
Standback said…
Huge congrats! That's fantastic :)
Gary Flood said…
It really is! It's tipping me over into finally subscribing to NS. Well done!
Gary Flood said…
It really is! It's tipping me over into finally subscribing to NS. Well done!
Colin said…
Actually, a truncated version of your piece has appeared in the culture section of the print edition of this week's New Scientist (the one with the What is Knowledge? cover).

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Somehow, It Got Worse

Recent Movie: The Batman

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Now With an Asterisk